Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Inspired or Defeated?

I came across this great poem today written by The Real Mr. Fitz.  I've read it several times today, and every time I read it I get teary eyed at the end.  I know exactly how Mr. Fitz feels! For the past few years I have become more and more frustrated at the lack of creativity and individuality that is allowed in teaching.

I remember when I was applauded for thinking outside the box, for challenging my students to rise to a higher level, for meeting the needs of the individuals in my classroom, and not expecting every child to be on the same page on the same day.   My lessons were unique, they were me.

That is no longer the case.  Today, the standardization of lessons has taken some schools to the point of literally every teacher teaching the same way, on the same day, in the same way.  I recently saw a teachers' guide that not only specified WHAT to teach, but how much time to spend on each thing, as if every child will learn at the same pace.  When I questioned it, the response I got was that many teachers don't know how to pace their lessons, and this will help them do it.  I'm pretty sure that pacing is one of the criteria on my yearly appraisal - these folks should be set, as their pacing is scheduled for them!

I've been asked for critical thinking questions for curriculum topics, because teachers don't know how to ask these kinds of questions.

I've been asked not to share all the resources I find, as it can become overwhelming for the teachers to know which ones to use, and besides we have trainers and teams planning what they need.

So when I came across this poem today, it just sort of hit me.  This is what education has become, a rote regurgitation of the information to pass the test.  There is no thinking, there is no creativity, there is no imagination, there is no individuality... and I just can't accept that.  I can not allow the children whose lives I touch to be herded through the school system, moving from assessment to assessment, and losing that quest for knowledge that every child enters school with.  I will not give in to the standard.  I will make the stand to teach, to lead, to inspire, to guide my students, for the short time I have them, to become learners, not cattle.



1 comment:

karen said...

I agree with your assessment of rigid pacing -- this seems to me to be the opposite of differentiation. With so many different student levels, needs, interests, backgrounds, etc., trying to "standardize" makes no sense at all.

I hope that some of us can find the courage to stand up to this nonsense and do what is best for our kids.